Friday, February 26, 2010

12 hours

I've survived severe headaches, numberous infections, a few gashed open toes, countless jammed fingers, high fevers, a broken finger, an ATV crash, gout... I've survived all of this without any kind of pain medicine. I admit, I came close to taking them when I had gout but never could swallow that pill. In fact, I didn't even learn how to swallow pills until I started college. (And that was for vitamins, not meds :))

I've never taken ibuprofen. That is... until this past October. Shortly after my 20th birthday I seriously hurt my back. I was all alone in the apartment when it happened and the pain was so great that it literally paralyzed me. It was frightening. After what seemed like an eternity one of my roommates came home and found me in tears from the immense pain. She disappeared and immediately reappeared with some pills. I was in so much pain that I just swallowed what she gave me - no questions asked. It was 6:30pm. By 7pm I was out cold.

I woke up after what felt like 15 minutes. I was a little sore when I moved but amazingly the pain was pretty much gone! I found myself in bed covered with a blanket and a heating pad was on my back. What sweet roommates I have. I checked the clock - it was 7 AM! Amazing.

I haven't taken ibuprofen since. (Only because I haven't gotten injured since.) But next time I am in a situation where I need pain meds, trust me, I will not hesitate to swallow that ibuprofen.

No comments:

Post a Comment