Monday, February 22, 2010

Living In The Moment

I love Germany. I love the landscape. I love the food. I love the language. I love the traditions. I love it all. (minus the beer and cigarettes)

I had the priviledge of living there for 5 whole years. That's a fourth of my lifetime. Sadly, that fraction is getting smaller and smaller with each passing year. What's even more sad is my memories are fading with each passing day.
As I grow older I appreciate that opportunity more and more. It was a wonderful experience, but in the moment I didn't appreciate it. Originally we were only suppose to be there for 3 years. I was definitely living in the future as I counted down those three years in anticipation of my grand return back to Utah. When three years were up I was told we would be staying another 2 years... what!?!! I could not believe this.

But what could I do? Absolutely nothing. A year went by and one brother was already back in Utah attending BYU and the other was leaving to move in with my grandparents and complete his senior year with his friends in Utah. How unfair, I thought. But looking back I wish I could have seen that it was unfair that my brothers didn't get the full 5 year experience. I guess over time I have developed a new perspective on the situation. :)

I've been home for 6 years now. That's longer than the time I actually spent in Germany. I miss it so much and want to go back to visit. One day I will, but it won't be the same. I regret not living in the moment for those 5 years. I'm not going to let that happen ever again.

"Don’t let your life pass you by, focus on the present and enjoy today!"

- Glen Hopkins

No comments:

Post a Comment